April 26, 2008

What a day

I DID IT!!!

The 5K today went really well, and I think I may be addicted to racing now :) This morning started out quite dreadful - it was only about 40 degrees when I arrived at the check-in...along with crazy winds. We were soooo cold (I may sound wimpy, but being next to the lake when it's windy and chilly is not really ever anyone's cup of tea), and we were standing outside for about an hour and a half before the race even started. Anyway, the sun finally came out as we started running, and stayed out the whole rest of the day. It's amazing what the sun can do.

I had set a goal for myself of finishing in 45 minutes, based on the fact that Jennifer told me another friend had just finished her very first 5K in about 42 minutes. Let me tell you, nothing beats the adrenaline of running with several thousand other people! I ran for the first 2 miles without stopping, which I've never really done before believe it or not. Then I walked for about 5 minutes, and ran the whole rest. There was a point at about 2.75ish that I so wanted to stop, but I knew the finish line was nearing my line of vision, so I pressed on! It really was incredible. Crossing the finish line I was overcome with emotion and just started sobbing. It was a whole mixture of emotions - seeing all these people who were running for those who had suffered from brain tumors, and knowing I was running for Frank....it was incredibly meaningful and special. Add to that it's the first time I've done anything like this and there you have a sobbing runner :)

But seriously - I think the adrenaline and my heart were racing (no pun intended) when I finished, and that's how my body reacted. I found Jennifer and Elizabeth and hugged and cried some more, and wow. It really was a spiritual experience in a way. Within a few minutes of finishing, I was already thinking "when will I do my next race" - everyone told me once you do one, you are addicted, but I never believed them!

So if you want to start running with me, it sure would be nice to have some running buddies in Chicago :)

I don't know my exact time yet (my dumb stopwatch died during the race). They are going to post it online soon and then I'll put in on here. I will also post some pics once I get them from Jennifer.

Also - Today I reached my fundraising goal of $500!!!!! Thank you to all who supported me, both financially and in many other just as important ways. I am so grateful.

Until next time....

No comments: