November 29, 2006

Job

Job - No, I'm not talking about employment. I'm talking about the Book of Job in the Bible. I wrote a paper about suffering in the Book of Job last night. It's not an easy thing to think about, write about, talk about, etc.... It really makes you think. Does God cause suffering? If so, is that a God that I can believe in??

I came to the conclusion that God does NOT cause suffering. Why would a forgiving and loving God wish such harm upon Earth. I think God is crying (metaphorically speaking) because of the awful things that are in no one's control in this world (like cancer, natural disasters, accidents...). I think God is right there with us, through the hurt, just as sad as we are; and supporting us to fight against the injustice in our world.

At least I hope so.

A short little sermon from Becky...I could write more but I have to go to class, and I don't want to go on and on about it. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

P.S. If you don't believe in God, I'm not trying to say you should. That's your perogative (yay Bobby Brown). I'm totally immersed in seminary life, so God is going to come up in the blog once in awhile. We're working through a lot of things, it's a whole new level of my faith journey...lots of questioning.

P.P.S. If you're interested you might want to check out the book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" By Harold Kushner.

No comments: